Research Library Renovation
Preparations are already underway to transform the OHS Research Library into a welcoming and fully accessible twenty-first-century space for research, learning, and collaboration. Home to millions of original and published materials, including books and serials, maps, photographs, sound recordings, manuscripts, and moving images, our library is truly the heart of everything we do at the Oregon Historical Society. ...Learn More
Using OHS Collections
The Oregon Historical Society (OHS) Research Library is committed to providing broad access to its collections for teaching, learning, and...Learn More
Reproduction and Research Services
The Oregon Historical Society Research Library offers reproductions of OHS collection material as a service for research, personal, educational,...Learn More
Beginning Your Visit
All visitors to the OHS enter through the main lobby at 1200 SW Park Avenue, Portland. After checking in at the visitor services desk, you will be directed to the library, which is a short elevator ride away on the fourth floor.
All library visitors are required to register in the library on their first visit each calendar year by filling out a brief registration form and presenting current photo identification. With each subsequent visit during the year, please let the library greeter know you're making a return visit to the library.
Once you have registered we ask that you leave all bags, purses, backpacks and other containers in one of the secure lockers in the cloak room. If you are using a laptop or tablet computer, please remove it from the carrying case and stow the carrying case in your locker. If you do not need to wear your coat or sweater, we ask that you hang it in the coat room or stow it in your locker. Now you’re ready to begin your research! Our experienced reference staff will be happy to help you get started.
- Research Library materials are non-circulating. You may not check out books or other items or obtain them through interlibrary loan.
- Except for reference books, stacks are closed. Materials must be requested by researchers and paged by library staff.
- Photocopying is limited, so please allow ample time to take notes.
- We suggest you conduct preliminary research at your local public or academic library, where you may find a good selection of books, serials, and newspapers to help you prepare for specialized research in our library.
- Many items do not appear in our online catalog but are indexed on-site.
- Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Note that some materials are stored off-site and may require a week's notice prior to use. Please contact the reference desk for retrieval from storage, or if you have any questions regarding using our library.
What to bring:
- Pencil (no pens, please)
- Paper or writing tablet
computers are allowed, and outlets are provided in the reading room. Cases,
however, must be placed into a locker.
- Taking pictures with cameras or cell phones is permissible following our camera use guidelines
What Not to Bring:
- Scanners, tape recorders, or other electronic recording devices are not allowed in the reading room. The Research Library offers photo reproduction services for most items.
- Strollers, carts, or other bulky items are also restricted.
- Cell phones must be silenced.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the Research Library.
- All coats, book bags, briefcases, closed or zippered portfolios, backpacks, fanny packs, purses, hats, and other personal items must be placed in a locker or hung in the coatroom before entering the reading room.
Tips for Visiting the Oregon Historical Society
We ask that when you visit the Oregon Historical Society that you help us to ensure our collections remain safe. Please consider leaving any items that need to be checked by our front desk/security at home or at the hotel to speed entry.
- Do not bring large bags, backpacks, or luggage into the museum, as you will be asked to leave them in our lockers. If possible, leave such items on the tour or school bus or in a hotel room.
- A reminder: no accommodations are available for eating bag lunches within the museum except in the Plaza courtyard.
- Do not bring any weapons, including firearms, knives including pocket or Swiss Army style knives, pepper spray, mace, etc. into the museum.
The safety of the Oregon Historical Society visitors, volunteers, staff and collections is of the highest importance. Thank you for adhering to our policy.
Using OHS Collection Materials
The Oregon Historical Society (OHS) Davies
Family Research Library is committed to providing broad access to its
collections for teaching, learning, and research. OHS Websites, catalog
records, finding aids, and digital images enhance scholarship and promote use
of both the digital and the original objects. We ask that all use be credited
to the Oregon Historical Society Research Library following our citation
Reproductions are for reference use only. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine copyright status for materials. Any usage of copyrighted materials beyond fair use requires written permission from the appropriate copyright holder.
Please refer to Using OHS Collections for additional information on copyright and the use of collection materials.