OregonScape: Winter 2017

Issue 118:4

This view looking east toward Mt. Hood from the new John Deere Regional Distribution Center is near the corner of 181st Street and San Rafael Street in Gresham, Oregon. The photograph, one of a series, was taken in November 1965 by Photo Art Studios on behalf of Deere & Company for their annual report at a cost of $250.00. Gates Rubber Products, no longer at this location, is visible in the distance.

Claude F. Palmer opened Photo Art Studios in 1925, and the OHS collection consists of hundreds of thousands of the studio’s negatives, plus prints, slides, and film footage, ending in 1998. Clients included the Portland Rose Festival, Salvation Army, Meier & Frank department store, Fred Meyer grocery & department store, Jantzen Apparel, Crown Zellerbach paper mill, KOIN Television, Kaiser and Oregon Shipbuilding, and United Airlines. Prominent Northwest photographers, such as Ray Atkeson, photographed for the studio.

— Matthew Cowan, OHS Moving Images and Photography Archivist