The Oregon Historical Quarterly, a peer-reviewed, public history journal, has been published continuously since 1900 by the Oregon Historical Society, an independent, nonprofit organization. OHQ brings well-researched, well-written history about Oregon and the Pacific Northwest to both scholars and a general audience. With a circulation of around 3,500, OHQ is one of the largest state historical society journals in the United States and is a recognized and respected source for the history of the Pacific Northwest region.
The recent decision to revert Mount Denali to its indigenous name (from Mount McKinley) has inspired curiosity about how some of the familiar place-names in Oregon came about. In the Winter 2005 issue of OHQ, Jim Mockford documents the British connections that Lt. William Robert Broughton placed onto the Oregon landscape when he travelled up the Columbia River in 1792. A few of those names survive today, including Mount Hood, Youngs River, Tongue Point, and Baker’s Bay, part of the legacy of Broughton’s expedition.
Download Before Lewis and Clark, Lt. Broughton’s River of Names: The Columbia River Exploration of 1792 to learn more.