How to Search the OHS Collections Online Catalog
The Collections Online Catalog contains electronic records for most of the Research Library's books and serials and a portion of the library's manuscripts, photographs, maps, oral histories and other specially formatted items. Items themselves are not available online, although sample watermarked images are attached to some catalog entries.
The online collections catalog is located at http://librarycatalog.ohs.org/EOSWebOPAC/
The Catalog provides three search modes:
- Simple Search queries for the search term in every field of every record. It is the broadest search available.
- Browse Search produces a list of entries according to the index chosen (e.g. author, title, or subject). Search for authors in last name, first name order. Navigate through search returns page by page or by typing the beginning letter of your target.
Power Search gives an array of options to narrow the search, including search multiple fields, search specific fields, use Boolean logic, land limit search by formats, media, language, location, or collection.
Searching for Photos
- Select the Power Search option
- Under Select search type and enter your criteria:, choose Collection Type from the -Select Field- dropdown, then type "Photographs" in the field to its right
- Enter up to two other search criteria**
- Click Go
* Alternately, you may click show search options and select "Photographs" in the Collection dropdown. This will allow you to use up to three search criteria at the top.
** To search for photographer, use the Author field.
The search results will list all records in the catalog that match your search criteria, whether or not a digital image is available.
Some records have linked digital images that can be used to preview the collection or item. To see a digital image, click on the record title in the Search Results to open the Complete Record View. If a digital image (or other type of linked media such as a sound recording) is available, the Linked Media icon will appear (see above). Click on the icon to open the Media Links tab, which will display a thumbnail of each digital image from the collection. Click on a thumbnail to enlarge it.
Please note that only a portion of the library's photographic materials have been added to the online catalog. Contact the library with questions regarding photograph collections that do not appear in the online catalog.
Other Ways to Access OHS Catalog RecordsThe Research Library contributes electronic catalog records to the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) catalog, WorldCat. The database allows patrons to search for titles in numerous libraries at once. Many public and college libraries subscribe to WorldCat, which is also available online.
Archives West provides digital access to catalog records of several hundred of the Research Library's manuscript and photograph collections through a shared database of Encoded Archival Description finding aids. Search Archives West's finding aids here.