Trunk contents include:
- Instructions and strategies for using the Chinese Traditions of Oregon Traveling Trunk in the classroom
- Recommended resources for students and teachers on Chinese American history and culture, including several children's books and research books
- Hands‐on trunk objects available for students to handle in a supervised setting, including traditional Chinese folk art
- Photographs portray Chinese-influenced architecture and design in Portland.
- Thirteen lesson plans have been included in the Teacher's Guide section of the binder. They have been designed to enhance the use of the elements included in the trunk while incorporating important learning standards. The topics include:
- An Introduction to China
- History: Chinese Americans in Oregon
- History: Portland's Chinatown
- The Chinese Language
- Chinese American Folklife
- Traditional Beliefs
- Holiday Celebrations
- Family Celebrations
- Traditional Music & Puppetry
- Traditional Arts & Crafts
- Traditional Food
- Traditional Medicine
- Portland's Chinese Traditions
Thank you to our sponsor the Wells Fargo History Museum!
If you would like to schedule a rental, please fill out and return the Traveling Trunk Request Form. If you would like to reserve a trunk by phone, have additional questions or would like to view any of the Traveling Trunks' lesson plans or content, please contact OHS Museum Education at email@example.com or 503.306.5223.